A hotel in the Chianti Classico wine region

July 25, 2014  |  Food & Wine, Hotel  |  Comments Off

Chianti Classico vineyards around Villa le Barone

Experiencing a boutique hotel in the heart of the Chianti Classico wine region brings wonderful memories: gazing at marvelous landscapes, tasting authentic Tuscan cuisine, and   enjoying the best Chianti wines!

  • 404 Not Found
  • Not Found

Chianti wines, and in particular Chianti Classico wines are world famous.  They were formally served in a “fiasco”, that is a bottle covered with a straw cover. But the “fiaschi” have disappeared, and renowned wineries are now surrounding our boutique hotel where together with a genuine Tuscan cuisine, you will be able to taste the best Chianti Classico wines. We also organize for our guests wine tastings and visit of cellars … No need to take your car, you can even walk to some of them!

Chianti Classico corks - Villa le Barone

But before you come and spend an unforgettable breakaway in Tuscany, you might wish to know a little bit more about the Chianti wines/ Following are a few tips:

  • Chianti has been made with Sangiovese grapes since th times of the Etruscans, therefore even before the Romans started to occupy Tuscany.
  • Seven subregions form Chianti: Chianti Classico, Colli Aretini, Colli Fiorentini, Colli Pisani, Colli Senesi, Montalbano and Rufina with the most famous being Chianti Classico.
  • The Chianti Classico region occupies about 173,000 acres with 18,000 acres of vineyards
  • In 2011, the Chianti Classico region produced about 7.4 million gallons of wine
  •  Galestro and alberese are the two primary types of soil.  North of Chianti has more galestro, South of Chianti more albarese. Galestro soil is schist based while Albarese soil  is more a limestone.  Sangiovese thrives in Galestro which is present in the wineries around Villa le Barone.
  • Pruning of the vine is mostly  made in the Guyot style.()
  • Growers normally leave five clusters of grapes on each vine, each vine makes in average a bottle of wine.
  • Chianti Classico must comprise at least 80% Sangiovese and the other 20% can include several other red grapes (Merlot, Cabernet…). The best of Chianti Classico is aged carefully in barriques and becomes Chianti Classico Riserva IGT, the top of the top, accounts for 5% of the Chianti Classico production and can contain any kind of red grapes; some winemakers choose to do it with 100% Sangiovese.
  • When you sip a glass of Chianti – especially at Villa le Barone - you are sipping history through a long tradition of wine making.

“Made in Italy”: Luxury Shaving sets

21/07/2014  |  Comments Off

Luxury shaving sets are produced close to Florence, and exported worldwide. They can be found at the boutique hotel Villa... more

Romantic Moments in Chianti

11/07/2014  |  Comments Off

There are many occasions for romantic moments with your loved one in Chianti, Tuscany, when you book a room in... more

Art tours and relaxation in Tuscany

04/07/2014  |  Comments Off

For ideal vacations, the best is to combine guided art tours in Tuscany with a wonderful relaxation break in a... more

The Palio of Siena: a must, to be seen at least once in a lifetime!

26/06/2014  |  Comments Off

The Palio of Siena horse race that takes place on July 2nd  and August 16th  in the Piazza del Campo... more